I-405 Express Toll Lanes Launch
September 25, 2015
What you need to know about the I-405 Express Toll Lanes before Sept. 27
Many PRR staff are busy helping our client, the Washington State Department of Transportation, prepare to launch I-405 express toll lanes between Bellevue and Lynnwood on Sunday, Sept. 27. Some of us have been working on this project for nearly a decade, but if you’re just hearing about the system, you probably have some questions.
Here’s the Top 5 things you should know before we launch on Sunday:
- Why we’re doing this: WSDOT’s intent is to help everybody get from A to B by making I-405 more efficient and reliable. We have built a new express lane between Bellevue and Bothell that, combined with the existing HOV lane, creates the express toll lanes. With tolls we can maximize the number of people and vehicles moved in the lanes, which means less demand on for the regular lanes which improves their performance too. The general purpose lanes will remain toll free.
- Understand how to pay: Commuters need to decide which Good To Go! pass is best for them. Any existing Good To Go! pass will work to pay a toll. But if you don’t have an account, you can use Pay By Mail at a higher toll rate.
- Carpools must have a Good To Go! Flex Pass in HOV mode to ride for free at all times: And there are still ways to get a Flex Pass before launch. The fastest way to get a Flex Pass for carpoolers is at a local QFC, Fred Meyer, and Walgreens. Folks should call first to make sure nearby locations are stocked. You can also purchase a Flex Pass at the Good To Go! Bellevue Walk-in Center which will be open this weekend between 9am and 5pm for the last minute rush. Don’t forget to activate your Flex Pass through a Good To Go! account before you install it in your vehicle.
- Avoid I-405 this weekend from Bellevue to Bothell: I-405 will be reduced to two lanes this weekend as crews work around the clock to finish striping. Driver should plan for major delays and use alternate routes if you’re headed to a game at Husky Stadium or CenturyLink.
- Plan ahead and pack patience for the Monday commute: Commuters should expect some congestion as drivers familiarize themselves with the new system and designated access points. Check out our interactive map at GoodToGo405.org on how your trip might be impacted and how to use the express toll lanes.
All things I-405 Express Toll Lanes: www.GoodToGo405.org
Express toll lanes interactive map tool: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/tolling/405/map/
Contact Good To Go! and walk-in center locations: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/GoodToGo/retail.htm
How express toll lanes work (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzocP4UfZk